Alkimos and Butler men charged after cash and drugs seized

0
680
Some of the cash seized by police during an ongoing operation targeting illicit commodities being moved across the state border. Picture: WA Police

TWO northern suburbs men are among those charged after police seized almost $9 million cash and 4kg of meth as part of an ongoing investigation targeting illicit commodities being moved across the state border.

Most recently as part of the ongoing operation two trucks were intercepted on Thursday, November 5.

WA police said the first truck was intercepted by detectives from the organised crime squad in Meckering.

A police spokesman said it was believed the truck had recently arrived in Western Australia and was heading back across the border.

“The truck is currently subject of an ongoing comprehensive search,’’ he said.

So far $2.94m cash has been located.

The two occupants of the truck – a 53-year-old man from New South Wales and a 47-year-old man from Queensland – were arrested.

They were both charged with laundering property/money from proceeds of major offence and were refused bail.

A 42-year-old man from Alkimos was also arrested.

Police will allege he delivered the cash to the occupants of the truck.

He has been charged with laundering property/money from proceeds of major offence and was refused bail.

The second truck was intercepted by detectives from the gang crime squad in Coolgardie. That truck is also subject of an ongoing comprehensive search.

A significant amount of cash has been located, which is yet to be counted.

In October 2020 detectives from the organised crime squad seized six cardboard boxes, which contained a total of $5.98m cash.

Police will allege the cash was destined for New South Wales as well as being linked to the seizure of 4kg of methylamphetamine in August.

Four men have since been arrested and charged in relation to the seizure of the cash and each has been charged with laundering property/money from proceeds of major offence.

A 61-year-old man from Caversham, a 33-year-old man from Stirling, a 31-year-old man from Butler and a 27-year-old man from Banksia Grove were all refused bail and are progressing through the court process.

The 27-year-old Banksia Grove man has also been charged in relation to the August meth bust.

A 32-year-old man from Scarborough, who it will be alleged was found in possession of the 4kg of meth at the time of its seizure, was charged in August and is continuing through the court process.

The Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission, gang crime squad and the drug and firearm squad have also been involved in the investigation.