Home News Comment sought on Sun City Precinct heritage proposal

Comment sought on Sun City Precinct heritage proposal

1599
The Heritage Council recognises the King Neptune sculpture has become a landmark and is embraced by local residents as a symbol for Two Rocks. Picture: Anita McInnes

PUBLIC comment on a proposal to list the Sun City Precinct, Two Rocks in the state register of heritage places is now open.

The Heritage Council will determine whether the Sun City Precinct, Two Rocks, which includes the landmark King Neptune sculpture, has state significance with Heritage Minister David Templeman to have the final say on whether it is included in the register.

A Heritage Council fact sheet says even if the Sun City Precinct, Two Rocks is included in the state register of heritage places it won’t stop the approved development located on the former Atlantis marine park.

But the Heritage Council says entry in the register will recognise and celebrate the distinctive heritage values of the precinct and ensure any major changes proposed are in keeping with its cultural heritage significance.

While entry in the state register of heritage places would ensure any proposed development was sympathetic to the heritage values of the place it does not prevent change or development.

The fact sheet says the King Neptune sculpture has become a landmark and is embraced by local residents as a symbol for Two Rocks.

A statement released by Heritage Minister David Templeman said the precinct was considered to have cultural heritage significance as it reflected a time of rapid growth and development in the area during the 1970s and 1980s, largely driven by the Bond Corporation’s commercial enterprises.

Sun City Precinct incorporates elements of the Yanchep Sun City development, the Two Rocks Marina and shopping centre as well as King Neptune and parts of the former tourist attraction Atlantis marine park.

The Yanchep Sun City development also reflects the economic conditions of the times, from the ambitious, aspirational sentiment of the boom that peaked in the 1980s, through to the 1990s and the venture’s decline.

To find out more about the proposal, take part in an online survey or to make a submission before the closing date of Friday, September 30, visit https://consultation.dplh.wa.gov.au/

In December last year Two Rocks residents started campaigning against a Woolworths supermarket, specialty retail, liquor outlet and cafe just south of King Neptune but the Metro Outer Joint Development Assessment Panel (JDAP) granted development approval for the proposal on May 4 this year.

Comments on registration can be made online through the Department of Planning, Lands
and Heritage’s consultation hub or by email to HCWAregistration@dplh.wa.gov.au