Home News Concerns about rush to approve tender to lease Wanneroo golf courses

Concerns about rush to approve tender to lease Wanneroo golf courses

2568
At the August ordinary meeting North ward councillor Sonet Coetzee wanted to defer the item on the golf courses but the majority of Wanneroo councillors disagreed.

THREE sitting Wanneroo councillors – two of whom are candidates in the mayoral election – have questioned the council’s rush to approve a tender for lease of the Carramar and Marangaroo golf courses.

At the August 9 ordinary council meeting during discussion about accepting Belgravia Health and Leisure Group’s tender North ward councillor Sonet Coetzee wanted to ask a question about something brought up in a forum in the beginning of the year.

Due to deputy mayor Brett Treby’s concern the question might involve confidential information the councillors went behind closed doors.

When the meeting re-opened Cr Coetzee, who is a candidate in the mayoral election, said she would have liked to have more information.

She then moved a procedural motion to defer the item.

“There was info that didn’t quite get to us that I was looking for,’’ she said.

The motion seconded by another mayoral candidate South-West ward councillor Vinh Nguyen was lost 9-3 with Central-West ward councillor Nat Sangalli the only other councillor to support it.

In May last year Yanchep News Online reported Belgravia Health and Leisure Group was one of three businesses invited to tender for the lease of the Guilderton café and store after Shire of Gingin councillors amended an officer’s recommendation to exclude the then current lessee.

Former Wanneroo councillor Dot Newton has also raised concerns about councillors approving the tender for lease of the golf courses before they see submissions on the business plan.

Cr Newton said it was a shock to see the current operators of the golf courses had been marked last on all aspects of the tender.

She asked if the recommended interstate operator was preferred because of the nine-hole course and crazy golf they oversaw in South Perth as this combination was suggested and listed in the business plan.

“I mention the plan because that is why I (feel) strongly that elected members should not be making a decision ahead of the plan being presented to council,’’ she said.

“In brief the public notice states the city is proposing to enter into a major land transaction to grant leases and appoint an operator for both golf course management and maintenance.’’

“This business plan is currently out for public comments.

“Submissions close according to the plan on September 9, which is a Friday and according to that plan the report is going to come to the September council meeting, which is four days later – really?

“That time frame infers that the business plan is going to be endorsed as it states following public advertising period the city will consider all submissions and may decide by an absolute majority to proceed with the major land transaction as described in the business plan.

“A report to consider any submissions received by city and to determine whether to proceed with the business plan is anticipated to be provided to the ordinary council meeting on September 13 and as I have said that is four days after submissions close – that would be the fastest I’ve ever seen this council work on submissions.’’

Cr Newton said she hoped people read the business plan and put in their submissions.

The business plan says in line with current provisions, the city will be required to provide formal approval of any applicable golf course fee structures on an annual basis.

It also says the operating days and times will remain as is currently the case, being a requirement of the proposed services contract.

To read the business plan go to the Public Notice of major land transaction – Business Plan, Golf Course Operator – Carramar and Marangaroo Golf Courses

The August 9 officer’s reports said the submissions were to be for the business plan rather than other considerations, such as, the tender process.

The councillors approved a recommendation that after the last day for submissions in response to the state-wide public notice advertising the business plan, a report would be provided to the council to consider any submissions and to determine whether to proceed with the business plan.