After Karakin crash another reckless driver stopped

1672
Three people were taken to hospital after this crash on Indian Ocean Dr, which closed the highway between Breakwater Dr and the Yanchep Beach Rd intersection. Picture: Jurien Bay Police

JUST days after a two-car crash in Karakin, which resulted in two people being taken to hospital, police have fined a driver who pulled out into oncoming traffic at the same intersection.

The earlier crash happened on Wednesday, September 6 on Indian Ocean Dr near the intersection of Lancelin Rd, in Karakin.

About 10.42am the Department of Fire and Emergency Services said the RAC rescue helicopter had been sent to the crash and career and volunteer fire and rescue service firefighters were at the scene and working to free someone trapped in a vehicle.

At 11.35am the department tweeted that the helicopter was taking one person to Royal Perth Hospital.

Yanchep News Online  understands the other injured person was taken to Joondalup Health Campus.

Then on Friday, September 8 Lancelin Police tweeted after fining a driver who they said had pulled out from the same intersection into oncoming traffic.

Back on Saturday, August 26 about 3.20pm three people were injured when a white Subaru Outback wagon being driven south on Indian Ocean Dr collided with a Toyota Landcruiser Prado being driven north on the same road.

The accident happened near the intersection of Clover Rd and resulted in Indian Ocean Dr being closed between Breakwater Dr and Yanchep Beach Rd intersection until early the next morning.

Last week Police and Road Safety Minister Michelle Roberts announced a suite of measures to improve safety on the road where 10 people have died since the start of 2016.

The safety measures included greater police enforcement, variable speed signs and extra passing lanes.

Mrs Roberts said the passing lanes on their own would not stop accidents on the road – drivers needed to take responsibility for themselves and think about others who might be travelling in the opposite direction because if they were involved in a head-on crash at high speed there was little chance of survival.

She said $7 million of federal funding was being brought forward so the first passing lanes to be built between the Ledge Point and Seabird turn-offs would be built by the middle of next year and the second lanes by the end of next year.

When announcing the 2017-18 Budget on Thursday, September 7 the McGowan Government said it included a major boost for road safety with the implementation of a regional road safety program directed at addressing priority projects agreed with the federal government.

The McGowan Government also said it was addressing the disproportionately high road trauma in country areas by allocating $18.5 million to recruit and establish a regional enforcement unit.

The unit’s 25 officers would provide a highly visual policing presence on regional roads.

While the full package of agreed regional road safety program projects will be finalised later this year, the first of the projects to be funded under this scheme is the construction of four new passing lanes on Indian Ocean Dr.

The Budget also included $31m for the Wanneroo Rd dual carriageway between Joondalup Dr and Flynn Dr and $50m for the new traffic interchange at Wanneroo Rd and Joondalup Dr.