
MAIN Roads WA says it is the sole authority for approving restricted access vehicle access in Western Australia on public roads, including Lancelin streets.
The authority also confirmed there is no current approval for restricted access vehicles (RAVs) to use Bootoo St, Beacon Rd or Collins Way in Lancelin, which the Shire of Gingin has said are part of a specifically approved route for heavy vehicles.
Yanchep News Online asked Main Roads WA if inspectors stopped a RAV Network 4 vehicle on any of the Lancelin streets listed in that route – Beacon Rd, Bootoo St, Cockram St, Collins Way, Kendall Rd and Walker Ave – whether the driver was required to be carrying a permit or some documentation to show them.
Main Roads WA media manager Dean Roberts said it was a legal requirement under the Road Traffic (Vehicles) Act 2012 for drivers to carry a copy of the permit in the vehicle and produce the permit to a Main Roads transport inspector or WA Police if directed to do so.
“Failure to produce a permit is an offence under the Road Traffic (Vehicles) Act 2012 and may attract a penalty of up to $1000,’’ he said.
“Higher penalties may apply if the vehicle is being operated without a valid permit.’’
Mr Roberts said while there no current approval for RAVs to use Bootoo St, Beacon Rd or Collins Way there was approval for 27.5m long RAVs to use Lancelin Rd, Walker Ave, King St and Cockram St in Lancelin.
He said 27.5m long RAVs operating at statutory mass limits (i.e. 16.5 tonnes on tandem axle groups and 20 tonnes on tri axle groups) were approved to use Lancelin Rd, Walker Ave, King St and Cockram St under an Order, published in the Government Gazette.
“As such, no permit is required from Main Roads but 27.5m long RAVs operating at concessional mass limits are required to obtain a permit from Main Roads.
“There are three levels of concessional mass.
“RAVs can only operate on Lancelin Rd, Walker Ave, King St and Cockram St with level one concessional mass limits (i.e. 17 tonnes on tandem axle groups and 21.5 tonnes on tri axle groups), provided they have documented loading controls in place and maintain records of each load, which are audited by Main Roads.’’
In a letter dated December 18 sent to 12 residents the Shire of Gingin said heavy vehicles currently used the main access off Beacon Rd (opposite Desert Rd) and traversed existing tracks to a mining tenement near the lead lights in the north end of the Lancelin off road vehicle area (LORVA) while mingling with tourist and small vehicle traffic.

The shire said to improve access and improve safety for people using the LORVA it proposed removing heavy vehicles from the main LORVA access and instead have the heavy vehicles continue north off the northern extent of the built section of Beacon Rd to the mining tenement.
In Beacon Rd residents angry about heavy truck proposal, January 13 the shire said a policy restricting RAVs to Beacon Rd, Bootoo St, Cockram St, Collins Way, Kendall Rd and Walker Ave had been implemented and been in effect prior to 2015.
Yanchep News Online asked the shire when Main Roads WA gave approval for RAVs to use Bootoo St, Beacon Rd or Collins Way.
In response the shire said it was unsure of the timing of Main Roads WA approvals.
“However, Main Roads WA will always consult with the shire for any RAV access applications and at that time, the shire will provide feedback as to any restrictions on the applicant,’’ the response said.
On January 21 a Shire of Gingin statement attributed to President Wayne Fewster reiterated that trucks had been accessing the mining tenement via the off-road vehicle area for many years via the above specifically approved route.
Cr Fewster said the extension of Beacon Rd was what the council was focused on.
“We (council) are extremely serious about improving the safety of the off road vehicle area in Lancelin,’’ he said.
“We’ve had a large number of serious injuries and deaths take place in this area.
“I don’t want to see any more visitors getting hurt when they come to our tourism destinations.
“Members of the public should be able to visit our popular sand dunes and enjoy them to their fullest with the peace of mind that they won’t have to watch out for heavy trucks.”
The statement did not say how many of the serious injuries and deaths involved heavy vehicles in the LORVA compared with serious injuries and deaths which involved off road vehicles.


















