Home News Man due in court today after investigation into scrub fires

Man due in court today after investigation into scrub fires

1226
WA Police will allege that in November last year a man threw lit matches into scrub on Beermullah Rd West. Graphic: WA Police

A GINGIN man charged by strike force vulcan officers is due to appear before the Joondalup Magistrates Court today, January 4.

On Friday December 2, strike force vulcan officers arrested the 18-year-old Gingin man as a result of their investigation into several scrub fires in Gingin in November 2022.

The strike force vulcan investigators charged him with three counts of wilfully light or cause to be lit a fire likely to injure or damage.

WA Police said it will be alleged on Tuesday, November 29 and Wednesday, November 30 last year, the man threw lit matches into scrub on Beermullah Rd West, setting the scrub alight.

A police spokesman said the man then notified the local bushfire brigade of the fire.

“It will be further alleged the man assisted in fighting the fires with his own utility vehicle which is fitted with a water tank on the back,’’ the spokesman said.

The offence carries a maximum penalty of 20 years imprisonment.