Home News Part of proposed Whiteman Yanchep Hwy a step closer

Part of proposed Whiteman Yanchep Hwy a step closer

2657
Planning Minister John Carey has approved a planning control area for the southern part of the proposed Whiteman Yanchep Hwy and an extension of Flynn Dr. Picture: Anita McInnes

Anita McInnes

THE southern part of the proposed Whiteman Yanchep Hwy and an extension of Flynn Dr are a step closer with Planning Minister John Carey approving a planning control area over the highway from Gnangara Rd to north of Neaves Rd.

In May 2016 Yanchep News Online reported that the proposed Whiteman Yanchep Hwy was identified in the East Wanneroo structure plan and the North West sub-regional framework.

About two months later in July 2016 Yanchep News Online reported an announcement by then Transport minister Dean Nalder on the major changes planned for the north metropolitan area when Perth was expected to have a population of 3.5 million by 2050, which outlined more detail about the proposed highway

The Western Australian Planning Commission (WAPC) plans released on Friday, October 27 along with the planning control notice show some of the proposed Whiteman Yanchep Hwy will go through the Gnangara plantation, which is part of state forest.

Flynn Dr currently ends at the intersection of Old Yanchep Rd and Flynn Dr (near Cecil Rd, which Yanchep News Online understands is a dirt track which goes to Little Coogee swamp).

The WAPC plans indicate that in the future Flynn Dr will continue eastwards to intersect the proposed Whiteman Yanchep Hwy before intersecting Neaves Rd.

The Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage update said the purpose of planning control area 173 was to protect lands required for the future Whiteman Yanchep Hwy and Flynn Dr extension.

The announcement said the WAPC considered the planning control area was required over properties to ensure that no development occurred on the land until it could be reserved as primary regional roads in the metropolitan region scheme (MRS).

“The declaration remains in effect for a period of five years from the date of publication of this notice in the Government Gazette or until revoked by the WAPC with approval by the Minister, whichever is the sooner,’’ the update said.

“A person shall not commence and carry out development in a planning control area without the prior approval of the WAPC.

“The penalty for failure to comply with this requirement is $200,000 and, in the case of a continuing offence, a further fine of $25,000 for each day during which the offence continues.

“Compensation is payable in respect of land injuriously affected by this declaration, and land so affected may be acquired by the WAPC in the same circumstances and in the same manner as if the land had been reserved in the MRS for a public purpose.’’