Home News Bushfire information for Nilgen, Mimegarra and Regans Ford

Bushfire information for Nilgen, Mimegarra and Regans Ford

1207
DFES says the bushfire alert for north of Nilgen nature reserve and west of Nilgen Rd in parts of Nilgen and Mimegarra has been upgraded due to backburning operations in the area. File picture: Yanchep News Online

A BUSHFIRE watch and act is in place for people north of Nilgen nature reserve and west of Nilgen Rd in parts of Nilgen and Mimegarra in the shires of Dandaragan and Gingin.

At 10.49pm the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES) said the alert for the bushfire, which has so far burnt 68,248ha of land, had been upgraded due to backburning operations in the area.

The bushfire is moving in a westerly direction and is not contained or controlled.

DFES said there was a possible threat to lives or homes and for those who had left the area, it was unsafe to return.

For those who remained in the area DFES said they should stay alert and monitor their surroundings as conditions could change.

“Keep doors and windows closed and evaporative air conditioners turned off with water running through the system if possible,’’ the alert said.

“Be patient and follow the directions of emergency services.’’

The alert also said a bushfire advice was in place for people in Ocean Farm, Nilgen nature reserve and Namming nature reserve, bound by Brand Hwy to the east, Sappers Rd to the south and Mimegarra Rd to the north in parts of Nilgen, Mimegarra and Regans Ford in the shires of Dandaragan and Gingin.

DFES said although there was no immediate danger people needed to be aware and keep up to date in case the situation changed.

They advised people to stay alert and monitor their surroundings.

  • Read through your bushfire plan and decide what you will do if the situation gets worse. You can make a plan by visiting My Bushfire Plan
  • Watch for signs of a bushfire, especially smoke and flames.
  • Close all doors and windows and turn off evaporative air conditioners but keep water running through the system if possible.
  • If you have a respiratory condition and you have been affected by smoke you should contact your local doctor or call Health Direct on 1800 022 222

If driving

  • Turn your headlights on and drive slowly.
  • Watch for emergency services personnel and follow their directions.
  • If you cannot see clearly, pull over, keep your headlights and hazard lights on and wait until the smoke clears.

For people in Cervantes extending inland to Indian Ocean Dr and north to Bibby Rd including Nambung National Park in parts of Cervantes, Cooljarloo and Nambung in the Shire of Dandaragan an emergency warning is in place With DFES advising it is too late for people to leave.

A potential community briefing is being planned for Friday, November 29 at 3pm at Jurien Bay Sport and Recreation Centre.

A community briefing was held at 3pm on Thursday, November 28 at the Jurien Bay Sport and Recreation Centre.

A recording of that meeting is available on the Shire of Dandaragan Facebook page.

Keep up to date

Visit Emergency WA, call 13 DFES (13 3337), follow DFES on Facebook, listen to ABC Local Radio, 6PR or news bulletins.

During a power outage, your home phone, computer or other electronic devices connected to the NBN will not work. Include a battery powered radio in your emergency kit.