THE Lancelin jetty is going to be dredged prompting calls for skippers and residents to take not of closures and machinery in the area.
On Friday, March 3 Shire of Gingin chief executive officer Jeremy Edwards said the Department of Transport had started preparing for maintenance dredging at the Lancelin jetty in order to restore channel width and depth.
Mr Edwards said it was estimated the work would take about 12 weeks to complete.
BMT JFA consultants are managing the project on behalf of of the department.
The company has advised the shire that equipment necessary to carry out the dredging could arrive in the week starting Monday, March 6.
There may be temporary access closures to the jetty and launching beaches north and south of Miragliotta St during this time.
“In addition, dredging itself is scheduled to begin during the week commencing Monday, March 13,’’ he said.
“In the interest of public safety some sections of beach will be temporarily closed where earthmoving equipment is operating, and nourishment works are being undertaken.
About 20,000m3 of clean sediment is expected to be dredged and pumped to two separate disposal sites.
“Five thousand cubed metres will be used for sand nourishment at the beach in front of Grace Darling Park, 1km south of the jetty.
“The remaining 15,000m3 will be disposed of at that section of beach 1.2km north of the jetty previously used during dredging maintenance back in 2000-2001.
“Skippers operating in the area and members of the public accessing the beach should be aware of the special safety arrangements implemented for the dredging and sand replenishment works.’’
He said signage would be put in place by BMT JFA consultants prior to work starting.
“The shire will keep the community informed of any developments in relation to this project as and when they come to hand.’’