
DELAYS to the opening of the Ellenbrook to Muchea section of Tonkin Hwy are frustrating motorists with Pearce MHR Christian Porter saying on Friday the highway is anticipated to open in coming weeks.
On Saturday, February 22 Transport Minister Rita Saffioti said Main Roads WA would be announcing the opening date very soon.
In a construction update in December Main Roads WA said the northern section of the project would open in early February.
But when that did not happen some motorists have taken to the NorthLink WA Community Group Public Group Facebook page to complain with a Main Roads WA representative posting about a week ago that a final opening date was still to be determined.
In the December update Main Roads WA said as the final touches were put on the works, there would be some traffic changes required to ensure the safety of workers and motorists.
The update said to keep an eye out for: Muchea South Road – single lane closures under the bridge, Great Northern Hwy – a deviation near the new road train assembly area, Brand Hwy deviation – some single lane closures at the tie-in for the new road deviation, Neaves Rd – intermittent single lane closures where traffic would be moved from the southern carriageway to the northern carriageway at the interchange and local roads where cul-de-sacs are under construction.
The update also said the early February date put safety first as a key objective prior to opening the road.
“Slightly later than expected, the delay will ensure the road is safe for all at the time of opening,’’ the update said.
“In particular, we need to complete livestock fencing, traffic barriers and lighting before the road is opened to traffic.
“Works are also continuing at pace to enable completion of local roads and the principal shared path.
“The February opening date will also avoid having extensive and inconvenient traffic management in place over the Christmas and New Year holiday period.’’
A key milestone, which the update said had been reached was the completion of the road surface for the north and southbound carriageways from Ellenbrook to Muchea.
“A concerted effort to ensure the application of prime and seal and asphalt, to the road sub-base, has seen this key milestone achieved before Christmas.
“Road surfaces are also complete at the Stock Rd West interchange at Bullsbrook and the Brand Hwy interchange and Brand Hwy deviation at Muchea.
“The 12 bridges and one underpass on the project are also largely finished, with only minor works remaining on the bridge decks.
“With the arrival of summer, landscaping has finished for 2019, with more than 500,000 tube stock planted, more than 200kg of seed and more than 350 mature trees planted.
“Additional landscaping works will be carried out next winter, to take advantage of the cooler weather and rains.’’
Ms Saffioti said the workforce on the final stage of NorthLink WA were working hard in the lead up to the project’s opening.
“As with any major project there have been a few challenges along the way, but we look forward to the road opening in coming weeks,’’ she said.
“This will completely change how traffic from the north gets in and out of Perth and will be worth the wait.
“It will save a lot of time for commuters and the freight industry.’’
Mr Porter visited the final section of the project with deputy prime minister Michael McCormack on February 20.
Mr McCormack said the federal government’s record investment in infrastructure was having a big impact on the ground in Western Australia.
“Our record investment of $100 billion over the next 10 years means a stronger economy and more jobs,” he said.
“Incredible projects like NorthLink WA are supporting over 7000 direct and indirect employment opportunities.
“Our record investment in infrastructure is making a real difference in regional areas, especially in Muchea.”
The $1.02 billion project has been jointly funded with the federal government contributing $821 million and the state government $204m.

















