Home News Nilgen man fined for illegal marron fishing

Nilgen man fined for illegal marron fishing

1949
DPIRD says the illegally caught marron were returned to the Moore River. Picture: DPIRD

A NILGEN man has been ordered to pay more than $5700 in Joondalup Court this month for matters relating to illegal fishing for marron in the Moore River.

According to the Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development (DPIRD) the 22-year-old man was found guilty on three counts of marron fishing in a closed season in September last year, when he was also found in possession of fishing gear within 50m of waters where it was prohibited and two counts of fishing for marron using an unlawful method.

He had been intercepted near the bank of the Moore River, downstream of Regans Ford with a marron scoop net in hand.

During a later vehicle search 26 marron were found in an esky – of which 12 were undersize – along with three non-conforming rope mesh drop nets.

It is illegal to take marron out of season.

During the open season between January 8 and February 5, the daily bag limit for licenced fishers is eight marron with a minimum size limit of 80mm, except South West trophy waters, where the minimum is 90mm and the bag limit five.

The prosecution also successfully sought forfeiture of the marron nets and equipment.

DPIRD Midwest regional compliance director Mick Kelly said Western Australia’s fishing rules were vital to sustainable fisheries management to ensure there were fish for the future.

Mr Kelly said fishing out of season was not acceptable to the WA community and could threaten the sustainability of  the state’s fisheries.

FishWatch is available 24/7 to take calls from anyone with concerns or suspicions of illegal fishing activity – call 1800 815 507 or report the matter via the online form on Crimestoppers