A SMOKE alert has been issued for Ledge Point to Mandurah including the Perth Hills and the Perth metropolitan area in the Swan Coastal Plain.
The alert was issued by the Parks and Wildlife Service at the Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions at 2.52pm on Sunday, May 16.
The smoke is the result of prescribed burns being carried out by the Parks and Wildlife Service and private property burns.
About 9am this morning the Parks and Wildlife Service said it was conducting prescribed burns at the following locations:
- 1km north of Guilderton
- 26km east of Two Rocks
- 5km north-east of Jurien Bay
- 25km north-east of Jurien Bay
- 20km west of York
- 40km east-north-east of Jarrahdale
- 25km east-south-east of Roleystone
- 2km north-north-west of Ellenbrook town centre
The smoke is expected to clear by tomorrow morning.
What to do:
- If the smoke is particularly thick, it is recommended people shut doors and windows and turn off air-conditioners.
- Smoke may reduce visibility on some roads and motorists should take care, turn on headlights and travel at appropriate speeds when travelling in these areas.
- People with asthma and pre-existing respiratory or cardiovascular illnesses should follow their pre-prepared treatment plan.
- People with conditions exacerbated by smoke should take precautions in line with their medical advice for these circumstances.
Keep up to date:
Visit emergency.wa.gov.au, call 13 DFES (13 3337), listen to ABC Local Radio, 6PR, or news bulletins.