Home News Teenager charged after shooting at Two Rocks school

Teenager charged after shooting at Two Rocks school

1983
Police enter Atlantis Beach Baptist College, which went into lockdown on Wednesday after a former student allegedly fired shots from the car park. Picture: WA Police

THE teenager charged after a shooting incident at a Two Rocks school on May 24 is due in the Perth Children’s Court this morning.

Yesterday WA Police said Two Rocks firearm incident officers from the major crime division had charged a 15-year-old boy after the alleged shooting at Atlantis Beach Baptist College.

The 15-year-old allegedly drove to the college on Breakwater Dr with a .243 hunting rifle and a .22 rifle in his possession.

A police spokeswoman said the teenager had been charged with no authority to drive, three counts of an unlicensed person possessing firearms/ammunition, discharging a firearm to the danger of, or in a manner to cause fear, possessing a prohibited weapon and an unlawful act or omission with intent to harm.

Audio from a body-worn camera, which police released yesterday, includes comments made after the arrest of the teenager, who police have said was a former student.

“Yankee 104 we are with the vehicle, firearms secured in the vehicle, one male in custody ’’ a police officer said.

“The school is still in lockdown we will go and speak to the school.’’

Vision from a body-worn camera shows WA Police arresting a 15-year-old boy in relation to an alleged shooting incident at Atlantis Beach Baptist College. Picture: WA Police

When asked if there was anyone other than the POI (person of interest) around the officer repeated that they had the vehicle with all the firearms in it and said they were just checking if anyone else was involved.

“We are going to approach the school.

“There are three rounds that have been fired from the vehicle.

“The shell casings are around the vehicle.’’

At a media conference at Yanchep Police station on Wednesday afternoon Police commissioner Col Blanch praised the teachers and the students for immediately taking action to protect themselves and their friends and colleagues at the collage.

“I’d like to commend certainly the school and the protocols they put in place,’’ he said.

He said more support would be made available to students, parents and teachers.

Mr Blanch said one building hit during the incident had been occupied but he was not sure who was in the building when the bullet penetrated the building.

Officers from Yanchep Police station were the first to attend.