Home News Wanneroo councillor reconfirms mayoral candidacy

Wanneroo councillor reconfirms mayoral candidacy

1677
This week mayoral candidate and Central-West ward councillor Helen Berry said she would be back for the next ordinary council meeting. File picture: Yanchep News Online

A COUNCILLOR who is a candidate in the Wanneroo mayoral election has reconfirmed her candidacy after earlier this month asking for a leave of absence until October 11.

At the August 9 council meeting Central-West ward councillor Helen Berry said the deputy mayor Brett Treby had gone against her wishes and disclosed personal information about a family member’s health at the volunteer firefighters’ dinner held on August 6.

Cr Berry said Cr Treby’s disclosure after she had asked all her colleagues to respect her privacy had caused distress to her and her family.

Cr Treby said it wasn’t his intention to do anything of that nature and if it had caused her offence he sincerely apologised.

But Cr Berry said his apology was not good enough and called for the meeting to go into a confidential session.

Standing orders were suspended with the councillors then voting in favour of going behind closed doors.

When the council meeting re-opened to the public and the media Cr Berry had left the chamber.

Later in the meeting Cr Treby said Cr Berry had requested a leave of absence, which councillors then approved.

This week Cr Berry said she would not be at the next briefing session but would be back for the next ordinary council meeting.

Cr Berry said she was still answering her emails and messages and would continue to do so.

If successful in the mayoral election she said she would lead with compassion, integrity and respect that all councillors had the right to a private life.

The October 2021 local government manual for candidates says a nomination may be withdrawn at any stage up to the close of nominations, but not thereafter.

Cr Treby was contacted for comment.

Meanwhile the City of Wanneroo public register of electoral gifts shows North-East ward councillor Linda Aitken has declared a $500 donation made by Justin Lazic to her mayoral campaign.

Mrs Aitken unsuccessfully contested the seat of Pearce in the May federal election.