WOODRIDGE is again under threat from a bushfire, which started in Yanchep on Wednesday, with firefighters saying the blaze is about 4-6km away and a wind change likely this morning.
During a briefing session at the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES) incident control centre in Carabooda at 8.45am incident control officer Andrew Hinton said while the bushfire had continued to spread last night firefighters had managed to stop the bushfire 2km south of Moore River and Guilderton.
But Mr Hinton, who is also the DFES north cosatal region superintendent said a gusty south west change with winds of 50km as early as 10am today increased the risk of hopovers and Woodridge was again under threat.
He praised the work of Parks and Wildlife crews, who had last night been using bulldozers to build containment lines to try and stop the bushfire going back to Woodridge, which was difficult work in the sandy areas and some had become bogged.
It had also been decided to let the bushfire run towards the coast yesterday evening as a wind change and slight temperature resulted in it heading towards an uninhabited part of the coast.
Firefighters with hoses were then able to fight the bushfire in the dunes but as heath burns hot and fast and sand dunes allow a bushfire to jump over easily he said communities including Guilderton, Woodridge, Neergabby and Breakwater needed to remain vigilant and are still under an emergency warning.
He reminded residents to listen to ABC and to follow DFES for updates.
A community meeting was to be held in Quinns Rocks at 10am this morning and another will be held at the Granville Civic Centre, Weld St, Gingin today at 2.30pm.
There are 230 firefighters involved and he said as fatigue set in they were being encouraged to get back to the incident control centre to get some respite but he said firefighters were very dedicated and whenever a fire was running firefighters acted.
When asked if the bushfire was caused by an exploding Western Power power pole he would only say they knew where the bushfire had started and it was still being investigated but was not suspicious.
He said yesterday the bushfire, which was reported at 2.16pm on December 11 and so far has burnt 11,000ha, jumped across Wanneroo Rd near Breakwater but had then turned back towards the estate.
The 10.25am Emergency WA update still included north Yanchep as part of the emergency warning area.
At the 8.45am media briefing he said it was under review but no decision had yet been made.
Yesterday at a 3pm briefing Mr Hinton said the situation at Breakwater and Seatrees was very serious and alerts this morning say the situation is not safe for any residents still there to leave.
Ten aircraft have been involved in fighting the bushfire – four helitacs and six fixed wing aircraft.