Yanchep train row escalates

1784
The state government says a claim by Pearce MHR Christian Porter that no business case has been submitted for the Yanchep train is wrong.

RESIDENTS are likely to hear a lot about the proposed Yanchep train between now and the next federal election.

Transport Minister Rita Saffioti and Butler MLA John Quigley are keen to start the project as it was a big part of Labor’s election commitment for the area.

Pearce MHR Christian Porter is also keen for the project to start as soon as possible as it is in his electorate, which he holds with a reduced margin.

On Tuesday, November 7 Mr Porter said after eight months of being in power the McGowan Government still had not submitted business cases to Infrastructure Australia for any part of Metronet.

Mr Porter said in a recent senate estimates committee, Infrastructure Australia said no business cases had been received for any part of the rail network that formed the core commitment of the Labor Party’s election campaign in March.

“The WA Labor state ministers either don’t know if businesses cases have been submitted or they are deliberating misleading the public,’’ he said.

“The federal Liberal Government has already committed $792 million to Metronet projects, almost double what WA Labor was seeking from the Commonwealth to make Metronet happen.’’

Ms Saffioti told State Parliament said she had rung Infrastructure Australia to clarify and their response had been they had received preliminary business cases for the Thornlie and Yanchep extensions, including strategic analysis, options assessment, deliverability assessment and economic analysis.

She said she had personally met with Infrastructure Australia chief executive Phil Davies, together with the Metronet team to run through each of the projects.

“It is worth noting representatives from the Commonwealth’s Infrastructure agencies are also working with our Metronet team and have been taken on site visits for the two projects,’’ she said.

“I have spoken to Phil Davies to ensure that everyone is on the same page, and he has confirmed that they had received the preliminary business cases in August.

“He also said they are working with the state in anticipation of the submission of final business cases early next year, that will firm up further details of costs and benefits, land use benefits and value capture opportunities.’’

Mr Porter said on the Infrastructure Australia website the only WA project listed as currently having a business case under assessment was the Myalup-Wellington water project.