Home News Abalone fishing banned in west coast zone this Saturday

Abalone fishing banned in west coast zone this Saturday

1209
Abalone fishing in the west coast zone is not allowed this weekend but a replacement session is being authorised. Picture: Anita McInnes

ABALONE fishing in the west coast zone which had been scheduled for this Saturday won’t go ahead but a replacement session is being authorised for next month.

The Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development (DPIRD) made the decision to cancel fishing this Saturday as most of the west coast zone is in the Covid-19 lockdown area.

Any people who fish for abalone this weekend face being fined.

The next scheduled fishing session will be on Saturday, February 20 and an extra fishing hour – weather permitting – will take place between 7am and 8am on the second Saturday in March, as a replacement for this weekend.

In making the decision to cancel this Saturday’s fishing, DPIRD said it had consulted with Surf Life Saving WA (SLSWA), Recfishwest and WA Police, who all supported the cancellation in the circumstances.

DPIRD senior management officer Rhiannon Jones said should the Covid-19 lockdown period end at 6pm this Friday, DPIRD compliance officers would be out on Saturday at abalone fishing locations within the west coast zone, to check that no abalone fishing occurred.

“If the lockdown is extended, please be reminded that recreational fishing is not considered a reason to leave your home,’’ she said.