THE following alert has been issued by the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES)
This is a new alert
Time of issue: 03:05 PM
Date of issue: 03 May 2020
Bushfire advice for parts of Wanerie, Breton Bay, Cowalla and Karakin in the Shire of Gingin.
A bushfire advice is in place for people in an area bounded by Indian Ocean Dr to the west, Kildare Rd to the north, Cowalla Rd to the east and Greenwood Rd to the south, in parts of Wanerie, Breton Bay, Cowalla and Karakin.
- There is a lot of smoke in the area.
- Although there is no immediate danger you need to be aware and keep up to date in case the situation changes.
- The fire started near Bennies Rd in Wanerie.
WHAT TO DO:
- Stay alert and monitor your surroundings.
- Watch for signs of a bushfire, especially smoke and flames.
- Close all doors and windows, and turn off evaporative air conditioners but keep water running through the system if possible.
- Read through your bushfire survival plan.
- If you do not have a plan decide what you will do if the situation gets worse.
- Be extremely careful when driving through the area.
- Turn your headlights on and drive slowly.
- Watch for emergency services personnel and follow their directions.
- If you cannot see clearly, pull over, keep your headlights and hazard lights on, and wait until the smoke clears.
- If you have a respiratory condition and you have been affected by smoke you should contact your local doctor or call Health Direct on 1800 022 222.
- The bushfire is moving in a south easterly direction.
- It is out of control and unpredictable.
ROAD CLOSURES AND CONDITIONS:
Some roads may be closed.
Motorists are asked to avoid the area, reduce speed and drive carefully due to smoke.
Road information may also be available from Main Roads WA by calling 138 138 or visiting travelmap.mainroads.wa.gov.au or by contacting the SHIRE OF GINGIN.
WHAT FIREFIGHTERS ARE DOING:
- Firefighters are on their way.
- The fire was reported at 02:40 PM on 3 May 2020.
- Shire of Gingin is managing the fire.
KEEP UP TO DATE:
During a power outage, your home phone, computer or other electronic devices connected to the NBN will not work. Include a battery powered radio in your emergency kit.
The next update to be provided by 11am tomorrow unless the situation changes.