Home News DFES says south Lancelin bushfire suspicious

DFES says south Lancelin bushfire suspicious

1594
The bushfire, which has so far burnt 110ha, is moving in a north direction and is contained but not controlled. File picture

A BUSHFIRE alert for people in the southern part of Lancelin has been downgraded to an advice as suppression efforts have been successful and fire conditions have improved.

Residents were earlier today placed on watch and act for the second day in a row due to a bushfire, which authorities have deemed suspicious.

At 11.45am today the Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES) said the bushfire had been upgraded to a watch and act in the area bounded by Lancelin Rd, Old Ledge Point Rd and about 1km west of Indian Ocean Dr.

Residents were alerted they needed to leave or get ready to actively defend their home due to the bushfire, which started near the intersection of Casserley way and Fisher way in Lancelin.

The alert said the bushfire, which has so far burnt 110ha, was moving in a north direction and that it was contained but not controlled.

Motorists were advised to avoid the area if possible or reduce speed and drive carefully due to smoke and be aware of fire and emergency services personnel working on site.
A number of roads were closed including Old Ledge Point Rd from the intersection of Lancelin Rd to Ledge Point Rd.

After the bushfire was reported at 1.2 pm on Tuesday, October 15 Walker Ave-Lancelin Rd was closed.

People are asked to report any suspicious behaviour to Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

DFES is managing the fire.

Meanwhile at 5.38pm today the Parks and Wildlife Service at the Department of Biodiversity, Conservation and Attractions (DBCA) issued a smoke alert for Perth CBD through to the eastern and northern suburbs in the Perth metropolitan area.

DBCA said the smoke was the result of Parks and Wildlife Service prescribed burns carried out on Wednesday and was expected to clear overnight.