WA Police have released information about a crash on Indian Ocean Dr in Nilgen involving a car and a mini bus, which led to a tour operator raising concerns about foreign drivers.
The crash happened about 500m north of Ocean Pl on Tuesday, September 25 at 4.15pm.
A police spokesman said the driver of a Toyota Corolla travelling north attempted to overtake a camper van, at the same time a Mitsubishi mini bus was approaching in the opposite direction.
He said a rescue helicopter and ambulances were sent to the site of the accident.
But there were no serious injuries to the occupants of the Corolla – a 26-year-old female driver and two passengers aged in their 50s – and no serious injuries to the ten people on board the mini bus either.
“Neither alcohol nor speed were factors in this crash, it was simply a case of the wrong decision at the wrong time,’’ he said.
Since the accident there have been reports that bus tour operator Adam Barnard wants the McGowan Government to explore safety options for the self-drive sector of the tourism market.
Mr Barnard reportedly said the driver was a Chinese tourist.
In December last year the government launched road safety booklets available in seven languages, including Mandarin, for international drivers who visit Western Australia.
When the booklet were launched acting Road Safety commissioner Teresa Williams said as well as many overseas visitors ordinarily driving on the opposite side of the road, WA had contrasting road conditions from the south to the north, with gravel roads, the danger posed by stray cattle and kangaroos and long distances between stops so it was vital to provide easy access to state’s road rules and road safety information in their own language.