Home News Police investigate south Butler bushfire

Police investigate south Butler bushfire

1884
Investigators want to speak to anyone who saw any suspicious people or activity, or has dash-cam vision of the area around the bushfire between 9.30am and 3pm.  File picture

STRIKE Force Vulcan officers are investigating a bushfire in south Butler, which caused the evacuation of nearby schools on Tuesday, March 3.

WA Police said about 10am, Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES) and police were called to the bushfire in Kahana Park on Kahana Pwy.

The bushfire burnt 3.5ha of bushland before it was extinguished by firefighters who stopped it spreading to nearby homes and schools.

Investigators want to speak to anyone who saw any suspicious people or activity, or has dash-cam vision of the area around the bushfire between 9.30am and 3pm.

Anyone with information about the bushfire is asked to call crime stoppers on 1800 333 000 or make a report online at www.crimestopperswa.com.au

Callers can remain anonymous if they wish.

Rewards of up to $50,000 are available for information leading to the identification and conviction of an arsonist.

Strike Force Vulcan is the WA’s pro-active bushfire arson prevention and response strategy.

In September last year Police Minister Michelle Roberts and Emergency Services Minister Francis Logan said the team of detectives would provide high visibility patrols of high risk bushfire areas, target potential arsonists and implement preventative measures.

They said in the event of a bushfire outbreak, Strike Force Vulcan officers would be given special priority clearance on the roads to provide a rapid response and maximise investigative opportunities.

The strong laws in place to protect the community from arson include penalties of up to 20 years in jail for deliberately lighting a bushfire and life imprisonment if property is damaged or destroyed.