Redhawks let Wanneroo get the upper hand

Wanneroo punished a sloppy Yanchep outfit to finish the first day well on top. Picture: Jake Santa Maria

By Jake Santa Maria

ON a warm day with little breeze to start with the Yanchep Redhawks were sent into bowl at the smallish Wanneroo Showground.

Without stand out bowler for the season so far Kevin Hall, Chirag and Sajan Karson opened the bowling and both found some good swing early on.

Yanchep got their first wicket in just the second over with Sajan having Warwick opener Michael Newstead caught behind strangled down the leg side.

Chirag removed the other opener soon after having him caught at slip, off a good outswinger after he was dropped at mid off earlier to leave them 2-17 after 7.

But that’s as good as it got for the Redhawks as the swing lessened with the older ball Yanchep were guilty of bowling a little too straight at times leaking a few boundaries flicked off the pads.

For the second week in a row Yanchep were unable to make regular breakthroughs and poor bowling meant runs were beginning to flow with the Redhawks not getting their third wicket until the 22nd over.

Murray Hunter provided some control bowling three maidens to begin and finishing with figures of 1-21 of 14 but Yanchep failed to build consistent pressure.

Wanneroo batters James Duyvestyn and Barry Weistermann both passed 50 feasting on some short bowling and regularly found the boundary.

Yanchep captain Michael Knight went through his bowling options using eight in total with himself eventually removing Duyvestyn with a well flighted delivery to have him caught sharply at slip to have Wanneroo 4-125 at tea.

Sam Christie picked up a wicket shortly after to leave the Roos five down but again bowling was wayward and some dolly catches were dropped as they pushed past 200.

Wanneroo made an aggressive call to declare at 7-235 leaving Yanchep a tricky 30 minutes to survive.

Yanchep lost Sajan Karson early for 1 caught at slip while there were some nervy moments for fellow opener Barry Gardner as he played some attacking strokes.

It looked as if the Redhawks would survive without further damage but in the final over Gardner was bowled by Duyvestyn to leave them 2-17 at the close of play.

This leaves Yanchep requiring another 218 with eight wickets in hand on day 2 this Saturday.