THE City of Wanneroo has welcomed the news that the Premier Mark McGowan remains firmly committed to delivering the extension of the Mitchell Fwy to Romeo Rd.
On Sunday, February 11 The Sunday Times reported Mr McGowan has hit the Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull for more than $2 billion in cash to pay for WA road and rail projects’.
Pearce MHR Christian Porter, who holds the seat with a reduced margin, and Wanneroo MLA Sabine Winton are also keen for the Mitchell Fwy to extend to Romeo Rd.
Last year Mr Porter started a petition calling residents to sign it so he could take the fight to Canberra.
City of Wanneroo Mayor Tracey Roberts said city continued to strongly campaign for the freeway extension.
“Further lengthening of the freeway will link to Alkimos and beyond, which will play a huge role in connecting Perth to the northern regions,’’ she said.
Cr Roberts said the business case for the extension had been completed and sent by the WA state government to Infrastructure Australia for consideration, with discussions held between Mr McGowan and Mr Turnbull at the recent two-day Council of Australian Government meeting.
“The magnitude of support by our residents for the extension of the Mitchell Fwy to Romeo Rd has been unwavering.
“Also, the overwhelming number of emails sent to MP’s during the Connect Wanneroo campaign resulted in the commitment for the rail extension to Yanchep with stations at Alkimos and Eglinton.
“We know the recent extension of the Mitchell Fwy to Hester Ave has made a significant impact in traffic management and commute time, with the initial traffic information reflecting usage even higher than expected.
“An extension to Romeo Rd will have substantial positive impacts for our residents, including considerable reduction in travel times for those living in Yanchep, Alkimos, Eglinton and Jindalee, encourage new business and through improved transport connectivity, provide further opportunities for investment in local jobs.”