Two Rocks erosion still to be addressed

1481
The City of Wanneroo says it has removed the Two Rocks access staircase to address a significant public safety risk. Picture: Anita McInnes

IN October the City of Wanneroo said it would seek an urgent meeting with the Transport Minister about implementing measures to address ongoing erosion at Two Rocks beach.

Transport Minister Bill Marmion said the Department of Transport was working with the city to understand the coastal processes in the location and that geophysical investigations had recently been undertaken in the area of Sovereign Dr.

He said the State Government provided funding, support and guidance to local governments, who were responsible for the management of most of the WA coast.

Mr Marmion said the city received a $300,000 Department of Transport coastal adaptation and protection grants program for 2016-17 as partial funding for construction of an adaptation option to address erosion.

“Longer-term plans for redevelopment of the Two Rocks marina are currently being prepared by the department and will likely include management for the section of coast in question.

“The city is encouraged to apply for coastal adaptation and protection funding for 2017-18.

“Applications will open in February 2017.’’

City of Wanneroo Mayor Tracey Roberts said in October the council would seek significant state government financial support for these works because the severe and ongoing coastal erosion in the area is a direct result of construction of the Two Rocks marina.

“I will write to the Transport Minister asking for an urgent meeting,’’ she said.

“The city is seeking early implementation of the long term measures recommended in the ‘Two Rocks coastal management study – March 2015.

“That might include some re-design of the Two Rocks marina, such as extending the northern seawall to reduce beach erosion further north.

“I will be conveying the city’s significant concerns at the current lack of commitment by the government to addressing coastal erosion at Two Rocks.”

Cr Roberts said the report called for the outcomes of the engineering feasibility study to be presented to the community early next year and, subject to the council’s endorsement the preferred access option to be completed during the 2017-18 summer period.

On Thursday, November 3 Cr Roberts said the Two Rocks beach access staircase had been removed to address significant public safety risk.

“A temporary observation point will be installed at the existing staircase location including a concrete hardstand, fencing and bench seating,’’ she said.

The quotation period for a beach access options assessment closed on November 1 with a preferred consultant to be appointed soon.’’

She said all previous community feedback and design proposals relating to long term beach access would be provided to the consultant for consideration in the development of beach access options.

“The beach access options assessment is expected to be completed by January 2017, after which a further community information session will be held to present the outcomes of the study and to obtain feedback from the community.’’