Boating upgrade for Guilderton

3063
Jess Caizley and Dale Barclay enjoy their stay in Guilderton earlier this month. Picture: Anita McInnes

GUILDERTON boaters and tourists will benefit from an upgrade to the Guilderton finger jetty and foreshore trailer parking area.

Jess Caizley of Aubin Grove was enjoying the sunshine while her partner Dale Barclay fished for black bream in the Moore River when Yanchep News Online visited Guilderton on Thursday, June 2.

Ms Caizley said she and her partner were staying at the caravan park.

She wanted him to experience Guilderton after her family visited the area for about 10 years so they could fish and spend time on the river.

Mr Barclay said he had been able to watch the State of Origin on TV the night before and was keen to try his luck at catching a fish.

Shire of Gingin chief executive officer Jeremy Edwards said Guilderton and Moore River were popular coastal tourist destinations – particularly in summer – so boating infrastructure was important to the region.

 Mr Edwards said while an exact start date for either project hadn’t been confirmed, it was anticipated the work would be completed within the first half of the next financial year.

 He said the finger jetty upgrade would involve the construction of a finger jetty in the centre of the newly upgraded boat ramp which would enable boat launching and tethering of boats to the new finger jetty.

“The Shire of Gingin has received recreational boating facilities scheme grant funding of $150,144 which is 75 per cent of the total finger jetty project cost, with the shire funding the remaining 25 per cent,” he said.

The shire has received recreational boating facilities scheme grant funding of $53,884 which is 50 per cent of the total cost of the foreshore trailer parking upgrade and the shire will contribute the remaining 50 per cent.

Mr Edwards said the north groyne was still used to launch boats – weather and conditions permitting.